Share the Cheer! Let's help our Friends at The Open Shelter.
By Courtney Ruppert
A good friend of SOS (Molly Barrington) does a lot of amazing work with The Open Shelter throughout the year, and she asked if we could rally our "SOS kiddo" troops to help make homemade Holiday cards for 250 people in need this holiday season. In addition to the cards, we are asking for a $10 donation per card so we can throw in a little Kroger gift card goodness!
If you've never heard of The Open Shelter, it's an Advocacy Center & Day Services Shelter for homeless and marginally-housed people in Central Ohio. The Open Shelter serviced over 3,000 men, women and children in 2019, and continues to do amazing work in Columbus.
Here's how you can help:
1) Decide how many homemade cards you want to sign up to make and grab your supplies. (Blank card stock or construction paper, markers, crayons, or colored pencils, tickers, glitter, or any other creative thing you can think of!)
2) Donate to the gift card fund through Keep Moving. To donate, click here. Please match up the number of cards you're making with the gift card amount so we know how many cards you are going to make. For example:
1 card=$10 donation
5 cards=$50 donation
10 cards=$100 donation
*We will take care of buying the gift cards and taping them inside of the homemade cards.
3) Turn on some holiday music and get yourself a nice cup of hot cocoa!
4) Engage your hearts and minds. Have you ever felt sad and lonely? What would the holidays look like if you didn’t have a home and family to share it with?
5) Watch The Old Man- a short story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYd4EvxZ_U&feature=youtu.be
6) Make our homeless and hungry friends an amazing card! Put your whole hearts into it!
7) Turn in the homemade cards to SOS in Clintonville by Saturday 12/12 at noon.
8) Give yourself a high five! You just made someone’s Holiday!
If you have any questions, please reach out to Molly Barrington at firstname.lastname@example.org or Keri Croft at email@example.com
Thank you so much for considering, and Keep Moving!